This part of the cluster case could stand to be redesigned, but a redesign is not currently a priority. When I do finally get to it, I’ll post instructions for the updated part here.
Step 1. Cut and Glue Part 1 and Part 2
- Cut the 4 acrylic pieces planned out in the file Step 9 – Fan and Filter Harness – v9.svg.
- Glue them to create harness part 1 and harness part 2.
- Let the adhesive cure on these parts for 24 hours before assembling the completed harness.
Step 2. Cut Gaskets
Cut the gaskets laid out in the file Step 9 – Fan and Filter Harness Gaskets – v9.svg from posterboard. I recommend cutting about 3 of each. Note that you can generally cut several layers of stacked paper at once with a laser cutter.
Step 3. Assemble Grill Plate
The 6 parts for the grill plate should have been cut along with the right side of the case.
- Assuming your fans have adequate blade clearance, precisely align and glue the 4 acrylic rings behind the individual grill openings.
- Glue the outer lip to the rest of the grill plate, on the same side as the rings.
- Allow the grill plate to cure for a few hours before assembling the completed harness.
Step 4. Assemble Harness
- Lay the four 140 mm fans on your work surface in a tight 2 x 2 square pattern, such that they would be blowing upward if they were on. The fans should be laid out such that the sides with cables are lined up with the left side and right side of the square formed by all the fans.
- Stack 2 of gasket type A on top of the square of fans.
- Sandwich the air filters between part 1 and part 2 from the previous step. Lay the whole thing on top of the fans, such that it’s oriented the same way as unit in the picture below.
- Using the 16 M5*15 screws, screw the filters to the four 140 mm fans.
- The fan/filter assembly should be very secure now that it’s screwed together. Turn it over so the fans are on top.
- Stack 2 of gasket type B on top of the fans.
- Screw the grill plate to the fans as well, using 16 standard fan screws.
- Install the completed assembly in the central part of the case along with the right side of the case.
- Adjust the number of gaskets as necessary so that the right side of the case touches or nearly touches the bezel of the grill plate, but does not apply pressure to it when assembled. At minimum, there should at least be 2 type A gaskets still installed, so that dust doesn’t get through to the inside of the case.
|8. Case Side Panels||9. Fan and Filter Harness||10. Ethernet Jack Mounts|